Thursday, September 20, 2012

Laurel Bed Lake, VA

Going into last weekend, I had a fairly extensive hike planned. With the leaves starting to turn and the breeze a bit cooler, I wanted to spend as much of last Sunday in the woods as possible. My plan was to get up early, drive to Laurel Bed Lake above Saltville, VA, and hike until dusk. The area is very scenic and the route I had chosen would have afforded plenty of pictures and great views. Nothing could stop me.

Then Rhythm & Roots happened.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to partake in the more destructive habits my generation enjoys, but we all stay up late for the same concerts. Rhythm and Roots is always a blast, and seeing one of my favorite bands, Folk Soul Revival, is well worth the price of admission.


Folk Soul Revival!

After the late night of great music and great friends, I overslept and missed my chance to make the hike I had planned. Disappointed, I drove up to Laurel Bed anyway to salvage what I could of a nice late summer day. I hiked an abbreviated route around the lake and the most accessible ridgeline. Despite my disappointment, I couldn't have asked for a better day for a free-hike. Fall, impatient, shoving its way into our region, provided to me a pleasant day of solitude and reflection; a welcome reprieve from the busy festival the night before.



I started out next to the lake, hiked around its northern banks, climbed the ridge shadowing over the water, and made my way back down to my 4Runner. This wasn't a particularly strenuous hike and, without a destination in mind, I was able to take my time and hike at my leisure. After finishing my loop near the lake, I made my way down to Tumbling Creek, the rugged stream that drains Laurel Bed.

Tumbling Creek

Tumbling Creek would make a great, short hike on its own.  Tumbling is an apt name - the creek falls off the mountain, pouring itself over massive boulders and cascading waterfalls. The shade provided by the canopy and the steep walls of the gorge, coupled with the cool water from the mountain lake, made it seem that I was sitting on the bank in the middle of November. As I explored the rocky creek, I met a few people fishing for trout; a man and his son were proudly grilling their catches nearby and kindly offered me a sample - it was delicious. My only complaint is of the acorns dropping on my head at the slightest breeze.



The best view of the hike.

Don't worry, little guy...he got me too.

Those who know me can attest: I hate running late. Though I didn't get the chance to take the hike I had planned, I stumbled my way into a serene late summer day that was a fitting end to a great weekend. I think I can live with that.

Throughout the course of this blog, you'll find that I often hike in Virginia. Despite a dear friend's misgivings, I love the "communist-wealth". It's a beatiful state that I treasure. And though this isn't the Virginia to which I'm referring, please enjoy this sample from Folk Soul Revival; you should check them out sometime. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment